HISTORY OF JOURNAL

“Naše more” is an international scientific journal of marine sciences with a long tradition. There are few journals worldwide with such a rich history. The journal was founded in Dubrovnik in 1919 by the city’s prominent ship-owners, seafarers and bankers. Launched as a paper of the Yugoslav Shipping Foundation seated in Dubrovnik it covered topics from the shipping industry. In the initial year two issues were published (Issue No.1 and 2). Within the next year eight more issues were published edited by Ljubo Leontić PhD. The eighth issue was published in October 1920 in which the editors announced that the paper would be out of print. The real reasons for such a decision are not known, but, evidently, the journal among other things lacked the state support. Nevertheless, in 2018 the 100th anniversary of the journal “Naše more” will be officially celebrated, accentuating the importance of the journal for the Croatian maritime tradition.

This confirms the ever-present awareness of the important role shipping has had in this part of the world, as well as the awareness of the importance of the sea for existence and prosperity of our society and beyond.

The journal was launched again in 1954, this time as a paper of the Mariners’ Club “Miho Pracat” of Dubrovnik. The promotion committee consisted exclusively of Master Mariners: Maroje Aleksić, Zvonimir Goić, Mario Grbić, Viktor Nonveiller, Špiro Savin, Ivo Scarpa and Lujo Šoletić.

Zvonimir Goić was elected as Editor-in-Chief, while Maroje Aleksić, Dragutin Betner, Antun Depolo, Zvonimir Goić, Viktor Nonveiller, Nadan Palčok, Miljenko Sekula, Đuro Stojanović and Špiro Savin were members of the Editorial Board.

The leading article of the first issue began with: It is more of a success than an omission when we declare that this is our first issue.

The intention was to draw attention to thirty-five years of silence on the maritime topic, and this silence came as a consequence of political circumstances, generally unfavourable to the shipping thought and hundreds of years of its continuous existence, and not as a result of a lack of interest and effort on the part of the Dubrovnik shipping society. That was the moment when the merchant fleet of Dubrovnik started to rise from the ashes, aided by the same group of members of the Mariners’ Club, headed by Master Mariner Špiro Savin.

In the next fifteen years, as of 1954 until and including 1968, the journal was published as a journal of the Mariners’ Club ”Miho Pracat”. Nevertheless, due to financial problems in the Club, along with some other circumstances, the Socialist Workers Union of Croatia in Dubrovnik took the role of the Publisher.

At the very beginning of 1979 the Editor-in-Chief Master Mariner Zvonimir Goić deceased. He was the Editor-in-Chief ever since the journal was re-launched, i.e. for 25 years. This loss caused a certain organizational gap that needed to be filled soonest possible.

By the middle of 1979, upon initiative of the ”Society for Study and Promotion of Yugoslav Shipping in Dubrovnik” and its president Professor Rudi Jelić, a formal agreement on financing of the journal was made. According to that agreement the shipping companies ”Atlantska plovidba” and ”Mediteranska plovidba” as well as the ‘Port of Dubrovnik’, District Assembly Dubrovnik and the Government Agency for Culture in the District of Dubrovnik made a commitment to provide financial support for the journal.

Co-signatories to this agreement, but without financial share were: the Socialist Union of Labour – Dubrovnik, as the Publisher, Mariners’ Club ”Miho Pracat”, Society for Study and Promotion of Yugoslav Shipping in Dubrovnik, District Council of Croatian Workers Union – Dubrovnik and Biological Institute in Dubrovnik.

New Editorial Board was elected consisting of: Josip Luetić PhD, Executive Editor, Josip Lovrić PhD, Editor-in-Chief, and Antun Martinović, Adiministrative Editor. Later on painter Josip Škerlj, Technical and Graphical Editor, and Anita Vlašić, Language Editor and Proof-Reader, were co-opted on the Board.

There were no changes in the Editorial Board until 1988, when Josip Škerlj left the Board, and Tereza Puzović, as Secretary to the Board, was co-opted from 1981 until 1983.

In the year 1989 two more members joined the Editorial Board: Boris Franušić PhD and Miljenko Kastrapeli.

In 1990 the new Publisher of the journal was Maritime Faculty of Dubrovnik when the Editorial Board was joined by Luko Milić PhD, Antun Ničetić PhD and Jadran Šundrica PhD.

In 1991 Srećko Krile PhD joined the Editorial Board (in charge of computer-processing of text).

In 1992 the Editorial Board was joined by Antun Česko PhD (as language editor as well), the post of Executive Editor was abolished, and Josip Luetić PhD remained as member of the Editorial Board.

In the year 1995 the journal established an International Editorial Board, and Josip Luetić PhD became one of the members; the membership of this Board has not changed since.

By legal succession, in December 1996 the Editor of the journal was Polytechnic of Dubrovnik, and as of December 2003 the University of Dubrovnik.

For a journal with such a long publishing history it is an exceptionally small number of changes at the top, which we shall briefly comment. Ever since the journal was re-launched in 1954 until 1979, Zvonimir Goić, Master Mariner was the Editor-in-Chief.  He was born and raised in Dubrovnik, seafarer by profession, later on a seaman ”berthed” ashore, prompted by restlessness caught at deep seas to action in all sorts of matters concerning the sea, among them to be one of the pioneers of tourism in Dubrovnik. In our midst it has never been easy on editors. Skilful tactics were required, associates had to be animated, a lot of devotion, dedication, enthusiasm and self-sacrifice were needed to keep the re-launched journal in press. Master Mariner Goić managed to keep the journal in press despite all the obstacles and difficulties.

Josip Luetić was the Executive Editor of the journal from 1979 until 1989. He was born and raised in Dubrovnik, where he completed his maritime college education. He extended his education on study of history from which he acquired the PhD degree. Finally, he dedicated himself completely to scientific research of Croatian maritime history and literary work. He was the founder and first manager of the Institute for Historical Research of Shipping in South Dalmatia and Maritime Museum in Dubrovnik. His scientific papers and engagement in editing the column An Insight Into History were his special contribution to the journal.

Josip Lovrić was the Editor-in-Chief of the journal for over thirty years, from 1989 until 2012 when he passed away. He was a scientist and a writer, born and raised in Dubrovnik, by vocation a naval architect, but throughout his career, and throughout his literary work, he stayed closely connected to mariners and their life experiences. His co-operation with Captain Goić in editing the journal started only a few years prior to the latter’s passing away. Consequently, his election as successor was to be expected.

The journal was categorized as a scientific-professional journal, with preference to the scientific field. Nevertheless, the link with the wider reading audience was preserved by publishing professional papers picturing the life at sea, as well as literary papers about the sea and the vessels written by the mariners themselves. Furthermore, the journal has been placed in the category of journals with international review and has been receiving a regular financial support by the Croatian Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.

From 2013 the Editor-in-Chief is Srećko Krile PhD. He is full professor and scientific advisor in the field of traffic and technology. He has been the member of the Editorial Board as of 1991. For many years he had been the Technical Editor, during which period he brought some significant improvements to the publishing technique of the journal. Ever since the text processing and graphics is being done at the former Maritime Faculty, turned the Polytechnic of Dubrovnik, turned the University of Dubrovnik. The special team within the Marketing and Publishing Department of the University of Dubrovnik is in charge of text processing and graphics. Thus, individual phases in journal preparation are more effectively monitored. Partnering printing agency is in charge of printing. Every effort is therefore being made to avoid any mistakes, i.e. it is much easier to ensure high quality print of the published articles, as well as regular issues, as an important element in quality assessment of periodic publications.

The main goal is to continue improving the journal quality, above all its international relevance. The International Editorial Board has been significantly increased by a number of internationally recognized scientists. The Advisory Board – Commerce has been founded to enable smooth integration of the journal with all parties involved in shipping within the Dubrovnik-Neretva County. The utmost has been done to keep the journal “Naše more” as one of the prominent features of the University of Dubrovnik. It is to be expected that the journal will continue to promote the maritime thought, contribute in development of the maritime science, a well as in guiding the Croatian economic focus onto the Adriatic Sea and its importance in the Mediterranean.

During the celebration of the patron saint of sailors Saint Nicolas on 4 December 2015 in Zadar the journal “Naše more” received the reward from the Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure for improvement and promotion of marine science.

This reward is a significant recognition for a long and hard work, which has been recognized at the highest level. The reward is of extreme importance not only to the young University but also to its publisher, as well as to the Maritime Department, from where it stems. Our deepest and sincerest gratitude goes to numerous authors, reviewers, translators, proof-editors and other associates, as well as all those who sincerely support publishing this journal. Our main goal is for the journal to be internationally recognized and to keep the lead position among the regional journals in the Mediterranean.